Wednesday, March 22, 2017

Is There Really a Lack of Time?


Is There Really a Lack of Time?


Have you noticed how pervasive the perspective of “Lack” is in our culture?  I have often been caught up in my own perception of a Lack of Time ~




I notice evidence of my own “Lack of time” perspective too often….

For example, when I come to a yellow traffic light, my automatic response is to speed up and hurry through the intersection before it turns red.



Oh, and while I am driving, I notice my irritation when the lane I am in is going slower than the others… and usually try and move to the faster moving lane.



Why?  Am I really going to ‘save’ a minute or two in my day by feeling pressured to get wherever I am going in the least amount of time?



Not everybody has this kind of “Lack of time” programming (certainly all the people ‘dawdling’ along in front of me don’t!) 



As much as I try to stay in the present moment, I often feel the stress and tension of a deadline or appointment.  Again, it reflects my [Mis]perception of a Lack of time.



This “Lack” perspective shows up in dozens of ways – with thoughts such as:

·      “I have to be productive and make the most of our time”

·      “I have to get where I am going as quickly as possible”

·      “I can’t talk now, I need to get back to work”

·      “I should get something done – I’m wasting time”

·      “There are only 24 hours in a day”



These thoughts reflect beliefs that “there is not enough”….

But is that really true? 



What we experience and accomplish in the same 24 hours as the previous generation had is expanding.  Technology has allowed us to accomplish tenfold what was do-able in the same time than we used to do. 



I remember Maharishi Mahesh Yogi saying many years ago that meditation will allow us to “Do Less and Accomplish More.”  I know from my own experience that if I ‘take time’ to meditate and do Reiki for myself, my day flows with much greater ease – I seem to connect with the right people at the right time and “serendipity” occurs more often!



So what impact does “Lack thinking” have on us?  At the very least, it adds stress, anxiety and worry to our days.  When we don’t believe we have much control over the time we have, this perspective diminishes our dreams, clouds our feelings of Joy and Happiness, and ultimately lowers our energy and blocks our ability to attract serendipity and what we desire.



Here’s a suggestion – write an inventory of any “lack” thoughts that frequently go through your mind.  Examine these thoughts and see if you truly believe they are true – if not, rephrase those thoughts into something more empowering.  And then, “Reprogram” your beliefs by reading these new statements daily – and see what happens! 



There are many great thinkers who have recognized the power of beliefs, such as:



What ever the mind of man can conceive and believe, it can achieve.

~ Napoleon Hill


We only see what we want to see; we only hear what we want to hear. Our belief system is just like a mirror that only shows us what we believe.

~ Don Miguel Ruiz


“The moment you doubt whether you can fly, you cease for ever to be able to do it.”
- J.M. Barrie, Peter Pan



What if we choose to believe in the “Abundance of time” instead of the lack?



What about those moments when time seems to stand still?  (usually when we are very present) Or, when we are so engrossed in an activity (usually fun and satisfying) and we have no sense of time? 



Have you ever experienced time ‘stretching’ – when something happens that should have taken much longer than it did?  If so, I’d love to hear your story, please email me!



In the meantime, I will consciously focus on reminding myself that there is “Always enough Time” for what I really need…



InJoyingLife,

Maureen Pua’ena